In a recent post about the Boko Haram jihadist group's latest slaughter of Christians in Nigeria, Robert Spencer writes:
These attacks are now coming in such rapid succession that it is clear that the Nigerian government cannot stop the jihadis. They can commit mass murder wherever and whenever they wish to.Indeed. Here are the Nigeria headlines from this week alone:
- Nigerian Islamists kill 59 pupils in boarding school attack, take girls as war booty
- 16-year-old boy dies of gunshot wounds, 59th victim of Nigeria school jihad terror attack
- Nigerian students trying to escape college attack were “slaughtered like sheep” by Islamic jihadists who slit their throats
- Nigeria: Muslims murder 37 in three jihad attacks, one at Christian college
- Interfaith dialogue in Nigeria: Muslims torch three churches, murder three nuns
Similar atrocities have been increasing in ferocity and frequency in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Central African Republic, Sudan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc. See Raymond Ibrahim's monthly Muslim Persecution of Christians report for details.
Why the global Muslim persecution of Christians? Especially when we are told by both Muslim apologists and Christian leaders, clergy and academics that Islam is not "monolithic," that we ought not paint a "caricature" of Muslims, and that we need to appreciate the "nuances" of Islam. Well, perhaps the murdered families, college students and nuns in Nigeria might be able to help dispel those 'caricatures' and appreciate better the 'nuances' of the religion of Muhammad.
Returning to Nigeria, Robert Spencer sums up the purpose of Boko Haram, and indeed of all jihadist groups:
The real name of Boko Haram is Jama’atu Ahlus Sunnati Lidda’awati wal Jihad — that is, the Party of the People of the Sunnah for Dawah and Jihad. Sunnah is acceptable Islamic practice. Dawah is Islamic proselytizing. This is how they go about practicing Islam in acceptable fashion, and proselytizing: by torching churches and murdering nuns. Boko Haram’s leader recently explained: “The reason why I will kill you is you are infidels…we must establish Islam in this country.”
Time for Christians to muster some righteous indignation, and protest against the slaughter of innocents.